The Do’s and Don’ts of Shoes
Picking out shoes is a serious matter because people judge you based on your appearance and clothing choices. It can be difficult to decide which pair of shoes matches your individual style. Whether you’re trying on shoes in the store or buying from a streetwear online store, here are some cardinal rules to follow when picking out a pair.
1) Avoid being too matchy matchy: There are many misconceptions as far as matching colors go. You don’t ever want to wear one solid color from your head down to your feet. For example, if you have on a red dress, you don’t want to wear red shoes. Black especially can look overwhelming if worn all over the body. Instead, find colors that blend well and don’t oppose each other. For example, if you wear a blue shirt, pair it with a different shade of blue on your shoes.
2) Utilize color to add some oomph: If you’re wearing a particularly plain outfit, you can add some excitement to your look by wearing loud shoes. For example, when wearing neutral colored clothes such as black, white, gray, or tan, you can pair your outfit with some brightly colored shoes like red, orange, or yellow. You can also find shoes with funky patterns to add a little gusto to your look.
3) Follow these simple color rules: Essentially you should choose shoe colors that match your clothes and that don’t compete with your clothes. If you wear a multi-colored outfit with a design on it, choose a tone that goes with one of the colors in the pattern or design. You should also think about when and where it’s appropriate to wear certain looks. For example, in a professional setting, you should wear more neutral colored shoes such as brown and black.
1) Spring: You should wear certain colors and looks in certain seasons only. Spring is one season where there is some flexibility. You can wear both winter and summer shoes during this time of year depending on the weather.
2) Summer: Summer calls for light shoes such as sandals. You don’t want to wear heavy shoes like boots.
3) Fall: Your wardrobe typically changes during the fall which means it’s not suitable for sandals and light shoes. Sandals don’t typically go with the heavier materials and colors that are worn during autumn. However, tennis shoes work most of the year. You can find the best skate shoes and wear them all year long.
4) Winter: You want to go for practical shoes during the winter such as loafers, flats, boots, and tennis shoes.